Frequently Asked Questions about Startups of London
- What is Startups of London?
We are here to tell the stories of London based startups. Each of our episodes is dedicated to telling the story of a single startup through a combination of video, audio and written media. Our goal is to improve the visibility of great startups, inspire new entrepreneurs and contribute to the London startup ecosystem.
- How can I see a full list of the startups you have covered?
Take a look at our Startup Map!
- Which startups do you wish to cover? Can I make suggestions?
We focus on startups that have established a product-market fit and are on a path of ambitious growth. Yes, you can suggest a startup through our contact page.
- Where can I watch your videos?
You can watch the videos of featured startups on our website startupsoflondon.com or on the Startups of London Youtube Channel.
- Where can I listen to the full version of the founder interviews?
You can listen to the full-length founder interviews through Startups of London Podcast. You can also simply search “startups of london” in Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get to your podcasts.
- Who is the targeted ideal audience of Startups of London?
We are here to tell the stories of London based startups. We want to help their growth by giving them more visibility in the eyes of investors, users, talents, mentors, consultants and entrepreneurs.
- How often do you publish a new episode?
Though this is most likely to change, we plan to publish 3 to 4 episodes each month.
- Are you commercially affiliated with any other organisation?
startupsoflondon.com and all its content is created and owned by Common Wisdom, London.
- Who owns the rights of the produced content such as the video, the podcast and any other related material such as the editorial?
All copyrights of the content created by Startups of London belong to Common Wisdom, London, including any/every footage gathered during the process of featuring a startup such as office videos, founder and employee interviews or podcasts.
- How does getting featured help my startup grow?
London is regarded as Europe’s number one startup capital. Even if a startup has commercial success with its users, growth comes from brand recognition and visibility of their story. Due to competition it is very tough to get high quality coverage that tells the unique narrative of each startup. That’s where we come in. We want to tell your story to your users, potential investors and future employees, entrepreneurs, mentors and consultants and yes, even competitors!
- How can I apply to be featured as a startup?
You can apply through our contact page by picking “I want my startup’s story to be featured by Startups of London”.
- How do you decide which startups to feature?
First, we generate a list of startups we want to cover either through applications that reach to us or through our direct contact. We filter for London based startups which have found product market fit and have a team of 10+ with a physical office location.
- Do I need to pay for the content creation?
No. You don’t. That’s all on us. However, we do prioritise featuring startups who are voluntarily willing to pay a nominal pre-production support of £80 (around one fifth of our production cost) in our early days. We also plan to offer a paid premium membership in the future contingent on view count, for those wishing to increase their visibility.
- We are a startup who wants to be featured, but don’t have a physical office in London, is this a problem?
At this stage, we are only focusing on Startups with a dedicated office space in London.
- Are you open for all startups in London or do you require a specific number/threshold of employees or the investment?
We are looking for a team of at least 10. In terms of investment there is no limit, as we believe bootstrapping and early profitability can be a legitimate way to grow a business, too.
- How can I advertise on this platform and on your contents?
If you have a product or an offering that is in line with our audience (startups, entrepreneurs, founders, or similar), please get in touch with us.
- Why should I use this platform to advertise?
Classical advertising has its problems mainly because people hate interruptions. The solution around this is to be highly relevant. For example, if your audience is London based investors, entrepreneurs or business owners, this might be a good place to get the right eyeballs looking at your product or offering.
- I am an investor, how should I get in touch with a startup you covered?
Usually, a startup will prioritise a mail from an investor above all else! But if you are having trouble reaching the right people in the age of cluttered inboxes, give us a shout, and we will be happy to get you in touch.
- How can I use this platform?
You are one of our core target audiences on this platform. So take a look at our startup map to see what peaks your interest, watch their videos to get a sense of their culture, the way they handled their challenges and their current growth metrics via their fact sheets. Listen to the full founder interview podcasts and read the full editorials to get a sense of what type of people the founders are and what ambitions the company has.
- I am a candidate who wants to work at a startup you covered, what can I do?
If you think you’ve found the perfect company to work for, your best bet is to first read up on them and find the key people involved in the recruitment decisions and try to reach out to them. Don’t forget to take a look at their Linkedin company page, their own web page and other popular platforms where startups hire. If you think you are an exceptional talent and have difficulty getting in touch with them, send us a message, and we will try to help.
- How should I use this platform?
You are one of our core target audiences on this platform. Use Startups of London to take a look at the different company cultures, understand what types of problems they are working on, what skills they need in the team. Use that knowledge and fascination to find what fits with your personality and skills the most.
RECORDING DAY & DETAILS
- For what period of time will the video and related content be available?
We plan to keep the content up and available unless there is a reason to do so.
- What questions do you ask founders in the interviews?
Questions revolve around a few core topics such as; value to users/customers, value to investors, value to employees/future talent, metrics and the story of growth from inception to today, recent challenges, future ambitions.
- As a founder being interviewed, if there is a specific topic I want to talk about, can I focus on that?
Absolutely, during the conversation, you will have the opportunity to tell your most impressive stories and bring attention to the topics you want to talk about.
- How much time does the recording take?
We usually aim to take less than 2 hours of your time during the shooting. This includes our visit to the office, the office tour, the interview with the founder and/or other employees if necessary.