“Guide to Team Management for Your Startup” by Joy Gomez
A business, small or big, functions on the tireless efforts and hard work of its members. A team is built with united members and work towards a similar cause and vision in mind. They are also the reason behind the success and failure of the company—the very crucial role.
While many companies select great, skilled and experienced minds to create a team, some startups build teams from scratch. Building a team takes courage and determination, the qualities any business upholds. By being part of the team and being a team member holds different connotations. In parallel to the fellow members’ contribution, individual contribution plays a significant role in promoting standardised growth and systematic progress.
What Is Teamwork?
When two or more people collaborate to accomplish a common task or assignment, the work done is teamwork. Teamwork resonates with the quote, “Two heads are better than one.” It also helps get the work done faster and easier with the required quality.
Advantages of Teamwork
Teamwork generates a high rate of progress to any business or project. Here are some benefits teamwork can add to your business.
- It increases the efficiency of the team and improves their productivity. Also, it helps work get done faster with better quality.
- With more people contributing, there is a place for vivid and innovative ideas. In addition, it helps expand the varieties and uniqueness of the brand.
- Teamwork also promotes flexibility in time and work between colleagues. This allows more experience and increased awareness of different roles and responsibilities.
- Teamwork is the best way to resort to problem-solving and overcoming any obstacle in work—more people, more skills that can solve issues faster and smoother.
- It also gives workers an excellent time to bond, get to know and bond with each other. As a result, the workplace becomes a more lovely, convenient and better environment.
With these advantages, there come a few disadvantages too.
Disadvantages of Teamwork
- Too many people included can cause chaos and clutter within the space. Also, when too many ideas pour in, it can make decision making a little too complicated.
- People with multiple personalities within a team can be difficult for people to get accustomed to. As a result, people can feel left out, dominated, voiceless, and sometimes discriminated against within a team.
- Teamwork without proper guidance can also lead to conflicts and high competition with each other.
- A disrupted team will not produce the best result and can cause a lag in work production.
- Another vital factor that disadvantages the team is the lack of proper management that guides and encourages the team.
What Is Team Management?
When you have two or more people working together on a project or assignment (doing teamwork), they require guidance, direction, and someone or some people to make sure they work well, encourage and co-ordinate the pack. This process is team management.
It is found in workplaces, offices, businesses, schools, hospitals and any organization that includes more than one person working on a task.
Team management is essential to accomplish deadlines, attain growth, and simultaneously expand from startups to branded businesses.
Why Do You Need Team Management?
To begin with, anything with advantages and disadvantages requires management strategies to balance them and find the centre. If the above reasons weren’t enough, here are some more reasons why team management would be an absolute necessity for your startups. For an organization that works in holistic collaboration, team management is sure to be a piece of cake.
- Team management holds the entire workplace together. With team management, employees are held together to focus on their mission and vision despite the differences, shortcomings, and weaknesses.
- Team management also allows you to learn about your fellow members, get new perspectives and better solutions. These differences can be handled wisely with proper team management in place.
- More people, faster the work but with proper team management, more quickly the efficient work. Team managers boost the team’s productivity with clear directions, constant guidance, and attention.
- Proper and equal distribution of work allows everyone to do their maximum best without stress or any pressure on their back—each person contributing the best from their results in an excellent project.
- Another need for team management is to keep your employees and workers satisfied, comfortable and happy within the work environment.
Team Management Tips for Success
Along with knowing the what and why of team management, here are some cookies that could help you get around building effective team management.
- Activities: You can have team building meets and gatherings in or out of your workplace to better get to know each other. It also helps with developing communication and understanding each other. Having fun and creative games or activities to stimulate teamwork is a simpler version of team management in the office. Startups usually have many freshers and newcomers, making it only suitable to encourage team building through such methods.
- Responsibilities: Better team management comes in when the leader does his commitment right. Making sure all the members are heard, encouraged for their hard work and contribution, guided through their doubts and given equal responsibilities is a guide to efficient team management.
- Feedback: It is essential to give credit where credit is due. Appreciating and giving feedback is very important for team members to provide their service to the maximum. It also encourages them to have a comfortable connection with their superiors and co-workers. Furthermore, feedback leads to motivating, correcting and is a major driving force that boosts the workers’ self-esteem.
- Work culture: A positive work culture comes with everything mentioned above and specific other principle practices. Influence the firm value, the growth rates and increase retention to create a comfortable work culture for all workers irrespective of their differences.
- Strategy: It’s the planning process and creating a map of the project’s hows, whys, whens, and whats. It helps to channel attention to the proper divisions of the company. In addition, it helps prioritize the work and help with a smooth workflow.
Now that you are aware of various steps and information regarding team management, you should also know that software helps. They enhance proper communication and avoid misunderstandings.
For example, Field Promax allows you to keep in contact, track and monitor your field professionals on the field from the office. As a result, it helps increase productivity, quick solving of issues and is highly efficient.
Team management plays a crucial part in startup businesses. It is essential to navigate your priorities and make sure your members are on board with your vision. Proper management of your team can make your startup business flourish in no time. Just take the appropriate steps at the right time, and you’re golden.
About the Author
Code is the central element that governs Joy Gomez’s universe; how he thinks and lives. He is a self-taught, process-driven programmer and a first-generation immigrant from Southern India. He has completed engineering school while working full time with generous support and scholarships from employers due to his high productivity and drive. He is and has a Black belt in Lean Six Sigma. He has created Field Promax to pursue his natural-born expertise—code, streamline processes, and code more.